Jalan Goa Lempeh, Banjar Dinas Kangin Uluwatu, Bali +62 361 3001000 or +62 361 8471000
The construction of the Bali Museum, carried out by the Dutch, was born from the idea of conserving, maintaining and rendering accessible the cultural heritage of Bali. In 1910, the first plans for the building and its courtyards sought to borrow from the structure of the former Royal Palace of Denpasar which had stood nearby before being burned to the ground in 1906. The Bali Museum was inaugurated on December 8, 1931. Within its confines are four main buildings - the Tabanan building where theatrical masks, musical instruments, sculptures and paintings are displayed; the Karangasem building with its collection of precious textiles; the Buleleng and Timur buildings which host archeological artefacts. The ethnographic heritage conserved within the museum’s halls is the result of numerous donations. The collections cover a temporal arc which ranges from pre-history to modern times with materials such as tools, arms, objects for religious ceremonies and artistic works, displayed with scientific rigour to create an itinerary allowing for an understanding of the cultural development of the island.