Piero della Francesca's masterpiece reunited again

Piero della Francesca's masterpiece reunited again
#Exhibitions

For the first time in history, 555 years after its creation, Piero della Francesca's masterpiece, the Augustinian Polyptych, shines again in its entirety. Completed in 1469 for the main altar of the Augustinian Church in Borgo San Sepolcro, the polyptych was dismembered and dispersed already at the end of the 16th century. Today what remains of the Augustinian Polyptych, that is eight panels (the central panel and a large part of the predella have not yet been traced), is found in museums in Europe and the United States, as well as at the Poldi Pezzoli Museum, owner of the panel depicting Saint Nicholas of Tolentino, one of the four saints who belonged to the central part of the polyptych. From 21 March 2024, thanks to the collaboration with the large museums that own the surviving panels, the Frick Collection in New York, the Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga in Lisbon, the National Gallery in London and the National Gallery of Art in Washington, it will be possible to admire them together all the fragments of the famous polyptych.

Viola Canova - © 2024 ARTE.it for Bulgari Hotel Milano
<#-- -->