A treasure to be sought ought painstakingly, just a short walk from the Xisi Metro Station in the heart of Beijing - a tiny pagoda from the XIII Century at the centre of a lovely walled garden with roses and pomegranates. Ancient and, for a long time, hidden. At the end of the Ming Dynasty, the pagoda was surrounded by the streets and buildings of the blossoming commercial centre that Beijing had become. The pagoda gets its name from the elderly wise man Wansong Xingxiu, a famous monk who lived from 1166 to 1246. We know as much thanks to the inscription on a tablet stating "Pagoda of the Old Man of Wansong”. Hidden but never forgotten, the pagoda was restored numerous times which is why it lasted so long. The last work was completed in 1986 in order to repair damage from an earthquake, bringing to light the original structure - seven levels of brick measuring 5 metres, emerging from structure of thin slabs of stone laid all about it, it is thought, in 1753. In 2013, to celebrate the renovation of the entire neighbourhood, the area was opened to the public. On the North and South sides of the courtyard, there are bookshops specialising in the history of Beijing, as well as an exhibition hall with objects and information related to the pagoda’s history.